Thursday, January 9, 2014

Job Love and My Thanks

Can I just take a moment to express how amazingly overjoyed I am to have the job that I have?

Seriously, some days, while I'm printing, I honestly stop and say aloud, "I can't believe this is my job!" Sitting in front of my computer in my tiny office responding to emails, editing product photos, creating new designs, I love it. Getting frustrated with a business card set up or the registration on a two-color job, I still love it.  Trimming paper, cutting plates, mixing ink (and the messy fingers that it brings, cleaning the press), standing for hours in front of the old press with it's cranky motor, digging through lead type, I absolutely love it.

Vera the Press
Sure, it was a huge pay cut (not that I was paid that handsomely before, but it was comfortable and definitely above minimum wage) and there are no benefits aside from a) the option to work in jammies (which I don't do past noon), b) the stellar commute and c) the stationery collection made from the imperfect/un-sellable prints, but I do not miss my corporate job. The people, yes. But I'll take the solitude of this path over the coworker friends any day.

It is still amazing to me, the trust that complete strangers have in me to print their wedding invitations, business cards, and stationery. People in the opposite hemisphere, whom I will likely never meet, trust me to complete the job that I say I can do.

And sharing my random designs, designs that I think are fun or charming- some of you agree and choose to share them with your friends and family! Designs like the You're My Favorite and I Love You, which is something that I tell Mr. Inviting on a daily basis. And that card was our top seller for Valentine's Day last year!

http://inviting.myshopify.com/collections/holiday/products/youre-my-favorite-vday

So thank you. Thank you for your encouragement, for your support, for letting inviting take up space in your stationery/card stash, and for sharing our printed products with your people. Thank you for helping me quit my corporate day-job at the end of July and pursue my dream and passion for printing.

I love it. Every second of it. And I hope that love shows through into the products that I create and share. Looking forward to an amazing 2014 with you.

Cheers,
ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment